Friday, November 30, 2012

If I was a white woman

If I was a white woman would you believe me without question?
If I was a white woman, you've believed and believe in me, therefore your family and friends would believe in me too.

If I was a white woman would you be proud of me, just for being me?
If I was a white woman would you ever look at me with shame, disgust and disappointment?

If I was a white woman would you allow your family and friends to talk about me as though they know me?
If I was a white woman I would be proud to sustain the façade of a perfect marriage and a perfect relationship with my in laws and her racist family.

If I was a white woman would you protect our children unconditionally?
If I was a white woman the notion of protection would be fabricated by my own self imposed paranoia.
If I was a white woman, I would be comfortable and my comfort would not be challenged. Even the systems of power and decision-making would promise me that comfort.

If I was a white woman would you unveil your eyes and ears in ways you never have needed to before?
If I was a white woman I could be mute therefore swim in the privilege of not having to pay attention to the gossip and judgments made on my behalf.

If I was a white woman I would smile in the comfort and privilege.

If I was a white woman I wouldn't have to ever think or wonder about this.





No comments:

Post a Comment